Monday, July 25, 2011

Alec Weber continues to succeed

For being a relative newcomer in the sport of trampoline, Alec Weber has learned how to compete and how to heal from an injury. Plus, he has learned what it takes to be a national champion. He accomplished all of that in a two-year span, overcoming a broken wrist that could’ve derailed his fast rise in the event to win a gold medal in his age group on July 15 at USA Gymnastics Trampoline and Tumbling National Championship Junior Olympics in San Antonio.
Weber switched from gymnastics to trampoline two years ago after trying it in his gymnastics class, but he took a tumble last fall and it almost knocked him out of the sport he has quickly grown to love. Weber was doing his trampoline routines in March at Skyview Gymnastics when he landed the wrong way, trying to break the fall with his hands.
“That was a no-no,” Weber said. “I put my hands behind me when I fell. It was a natural reaction. Then, I heard a pop. I had broken my wrist. It was right before my first meet in November.”
After eight weeks in a cast, Weber was back in action, regaining his form and desire to be the best. That determination helped him win the gold medal.
Competition on trampoline includes routines such as flips, jumps and form. Two back flips and one front flip are common routines.
Weber did well enough in the five meets to earn a spot in local USA Gymnastics qualifiers. He advanced through state and regional competitions before hitting the national competition at San Antonio.
At nationals, Weber was among a group of more than 2,000 in various age groups
His accomplishment exceeded a lot of expectations, including those of his mom, Shani Weber.
“I was being the screaming, excited mother when he won,” Shani Weber said. “I couldn’t believe it.”
Weber is off for a few weeks before resuming practice in August. The season starts in November.
“I can’t wait to get started,” he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment